Thursday, August 03, 2006

Peeve of the Day: Word Usage

I have seen this word used enough that I am beginning to think that it will become part of the dictionary.

The word is orientated.

People! For all that is good and holy! The word is ORIENT!

Let's look at an example:

I want to become more orientated to God.

NO! It should read: I want to become more oriented to God. See the difference?

The problem people have is taking the verb form of a word (to orient), making it a noun (orientation), and then using the noun form to cobble together a verb (orientated). Why do that? The verb form already exists!

So, please, all yous half-literate, I-can-post-shtuff-on-the-internet-now-and-have-a-voice bloggers -- do us all a favor. Keep an Oxford English Dictionary next to your computer and look up everyword before you type it.

But that will take too much time, Jimmy, and I will never be able to post a blog entry.

My point exactly. I stop reading your blog when I see the word 'orientated', anyway. And really, my standards aren't that high. After all, I am a member of The League.

No comments: