Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Manhood and Fatherhood

Two books had a decisive impact on my view of my role as father and husband.

The first is Fatherhood & Family, published by Angelus Press. It got my head on straight regarding my view of my wife, my children, and the world. Most of it was very difficult to digest the first time through. Coming from a very N.O. background and the "mutual submission" lobotomy that goes with it, this book challenged me, and gets a re-read every 18 months or so.

The second book was Created to Be His Helpmeet, by Debi Pearl. This one is for the ladies (in my best Barry White voice). Once again, it is a very tough read. My wife started reading it and dismissed it as Fundamentalist garbage. But when our N.O. friends reacted so violently against some of the more sane concepts, She took another look. What is boils down to is this: Women -- act like a woman and treat your husband like a man (with all of the manly-man things that it implies).

When I started thinking of myself as a Man, Husband, and Father, I became better at it. When my wife acted like a Lady, Wife, and Mother, and started treating me like a Man, Husband, and Father, I bore the yoke much more comfortably, and started treating my wife like a Lady. I know that she will support me in whatever I do. I trust her opinions even more because she knows that I have her and the children's best interests at heart.

And finally, sharing one's concerns and fears with one's wife is one of the best things one can do. Does she not share the same with you?

One of the (many) turning points in my relationship with my wife was after we had been married for several years. While courting her, I said all of the lovey-dovey stuff (true nonetheless) about how much I need her and depend upon her presence in my life. After getting married, I immediately assumed the role of what I thought a husband/provider should be. I rarely, if ever, shared my dependency upon her, fearing that she would see me as weak and vulnerable -- a shell of the man that she had married. Years later, due to some family crisis, I broke down and shared my utter dependence upon her in my life, ultimately saying "I need you". She broke down in tears, stating that she feared losing me to my work or the world because I no longer needed her. By the weird ways in which God works through human frailty, my weakness/vulnerability made me stronger through my wife.

BTW, the clamming up myself and shutting off my feelings was something I learned by example. In turn, I hope to pass a better example to my own children. They will never forget the example I set for them.

13 comments:

erin is nice said...

the pearls are truly evil human beings. they advocate whipping babies with a switch starting at only 4 months of age. i would hesitate to recommend any books by fundie child abusers.

James said...

Yes, but the book, coupled with Catholic right-thinking, is instrumental for a proper understanding of a woman's role within the marital relationship.

I do not advocate whipping children at a young age, but instilling a sense of discipline in young children is imperative.

erin is nice said...

this is beyond instilling discipline. you can read their book on line if you'd like:
http://city.hokkai.or.jp/%7Erepent/EnglishPages/TrainUp.html

they are sick, and their evil ideas are sure to corrupt anything they write.

erin is nice said...

also, even if one of their books has good information, it would be wrong to give them any money.

James said...

So what book would you recommend for a post-modern Traditional Catholic woman to more fully understand her role in the marital relationship?

erin is nice said...

Alice von Hildebrand's books are very good, and both men and women should read Archbishop Fulton Sheen's Three to Get Married.

James said...

I agree. These are great for general concepts. But these do not address the general day-to-day specifics of how a woman should behave in today's culture in response to how they have been mis-trained until now.

Both vonH and Sheen are good for an already well-trained Catholic mind. The Pearl's Helpmeet book (as this is the topic focus of the topic) is good for a poorly-trained Catholic mind.

erin is nice said...

i find the idea of trusting a poorly-trained Catholic mind to an abusive fundie extremely frightening.

would you buy a book from someone who supported abortion? of course not! so why give money to a woman who advocates the abuse of infants and children?

perhaps she feels so downtrodden by her husband that she feels the need to be a tyrant over babies and beat them?

James said...

After reading the book, it is quite apparent that Debbie feels anything but downtrodden by her husband.

I have already disavowed any advocacy of child abuse.

The points in the book that are worth consideration are the instruction of how a woman should act within the marital relationship. My advocacy of this book within this context is the point of this post. Nothing more.

The instruction of how a woman should act within the parental relationship is outside of the scope of this post.

Even the Devil himself has spoken the truth. The messenger by which it comes does not make it any less True.

erin is nice said...

well like i said, it's not about the book being untrue, but about supporting someone like that. catholics should have nothing to do with those kind of people, even if some of their beliefs coincide with ours.
there has to be a catholic, or at least a less offensive protestant, alternative to that book.

also i noticed in an earlier post that you listen to liz phair on a regular basis. i am so surprised. it's mind boggling.

James said...

Liz Phair just happened to be what is playing at the time. As with most free online radio, I cannot choose every artists that comes through the headphones.

I do not agree that we should distance ourselves from those who possess part of the truth. The Great Commission explicitly denies such a mindset. In the end, they are going to have to choose Truth or Falsehood. We should give them a reason to follow Truth.

I do agree that there should be a Catholic version of the Helpmeet book, simply because the overt Protestant-ness of the book is often a stumbling block to the nugget of truth which the book contains. We have looked for such, and there is none. The Pearls have a solid Scriptural basis for the roles of women within the marital relationship.

Most Catholic authors who try to address the feminine role do so from such platitudes as to have little practical application. This book is at least a step in the right direction.

M. Alexander said...

Elisabeth Elliot has also written some beautiful things on the role of women in marriage. She is also protestant and there is no whipping of babies. (that bothers me too- seems too disordered).

erin is nice said...

yes it's disordered. abuse doesn't exist in a vacuum. it affects the whole family, so if the children are being abused, the marriage relationship is also screwed up. just like if a spouse is being abused, it harms the children even if they are not being touched.