Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Car on Fire

I own a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle. Vehicle Identification Number 371. Great summertime car. Not so great in the winter.

I really, really want to love this car. It is fun to drive, looks great, and sounds like a classic VW. I get honks and waves on the highway, and complete strangers start up conversations at the gas station.

Cecilia

However, I think that I am in an abusive relationship. For everything that I have given her, she continues to spurn my affections to the tune of a $200 fuel line replacement, $1200 engine rebuild, and $100 on tires. She now needs some transmission and/or clutch work done, and so she was parked in the side yard awaiting the proper funding.

And then her engine caught on fire.

Seriously.

While mowing the lawn yesterday, I was going to move the car out onto the street to get the final edging complete. After backing the car out onto the street, I saw flames coming from the engine compartment via the rear-view mirror. I quickly pulled the car into the parking spot, killed the engine, and doused the flames.

So if you are looking for me, I am the one curled up in a little ball on the front lawn, sobbing like a little girl.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Cecilia. Any hope of a resurrection?

James said...

Not sure I'm up for a resurrection. I'm at the point where I just want to cut my losses and move on, much like an abused spouse.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my Dad's cutlass convertible in the 70's. The top wouldn't close comepletely so when it rained it had to be stuffed with towels. As a result of this moisture, the rearview mirror was mostly corroded. You really couldn't see anything in it. The sideview mirror hung by wires.

The front passenger floor was also corroded. You could see the pavement under the car. The passenger had to ride with his feet tucked under him, Indian style!
One day, before he knew about the corroded floor, Dad left for work. He was only across the street when he smelled smoke and noticed smoke coming from the passenger floor next to him.
He calmly lifted the floor pad and watched as flames shot up.
What did Dad do? He opened his door to scoop snow from the ground and put out the flames. Heat from the exhaust pipe running under the corroded floor had caused the cotton batting on the floor pad to catch fire.
Dad threw the pad in the back seat and drove to work.

How that heap ever passed inspection I will never know. He finally deep-sixed the car when the wheels fell. I swear I'm not making this stuff up!

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine owns a '68 Volkswagen Bus. After some costly fixing up, it's become about the finest car in Northampton. Too bad your classic auto is being so unruly.