Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Domestic Monastery

Later this month, my wife will be attending the 8th Annual Rocky Mountain Catholic Home Educators Conference in Denver, Colorado. While making plans for her attendance, I noticed that Kelly Roper will be presenting the concept of the Domestic Monastery.

Since becoming interested in Benedictinism over 10 years ago and reading the Rule of St. Benedict, I have often thought of adapting the Rule to a "Rule for Families". Obviously, I am not the first to have considered this. Without getting into too many specifics, many other writers have drawn comparisons between the Benedictine Order and the Restoration of Christendom. The concept of the Domestic Monastery works at restoring the very building blocks of civilization -- the family.

My wife will be returning with a recording of Mrs. Roper's talk. I will post copious thoughts and impressions at that time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you familiar w/Fr. Dwight Longencker? Check this out:
http://www.dwightlongenecker.com/Content/Pages/Books/ListenMySon.asp

James said...

Jeron --

I have not read the book, but it is one of those to which I referred in the "many other writers" gloss.

After reading through some of Fr. Longenecker's site, I think I will pick up that book.

Thanks for the recommendation.